Jeff came out with Catarina Friday arvo and wanted to come back and help — help he did… we got the barn insulation, roof tin, and ridge cap on (all secure). Within 30-minutes of him leaving, we had the BIGGEST storm we’ve experienced here to date — near 100 mills / 4 inches in 20 minutes and thunder to rattle the bowels of hell! NO leaks — yet the walls are a tad airy and need work.
A day of rest after Arnaud’s departure was in order (only planting a few trees and hanging out with Jaffa). I started back at the barn early and between bouts of rain, managed to get half of the roof fir strips (for the tin to re-attach to) by mid afternoon. I had to get to Frank’s and pick-up the side wall tin and a few pieces of steel fence for the compost pens before 16:00. I managed, with Frank’s helper, Hamish’s help, to get everything loaded and back before dark.
Here I am with the barn fir strips half done (and looking serious! ;<)
And speaking of progress… the planters, especially the tomatoes, are doing well and enjoying the heat and rain.
After the last few weeks of work – Arnaud and I have accomplished quite a lot. Yesterday getting the barn framing sorted, prepped and some raised… Yet today, we pushed hard and finished.
It has been a joy to find, that even after a massive tree (over 60cm / 2 feet across) landed on the corner of the barn and it spent near 10-years in waiting… We have restored the barn as it was built — just replacing a single stud, two header plates, and a few repairs. Otherwise, it remained intact. While we saved the original tin framing brackets — we upgraded to the latest in large screws (known as bugle bolts here in Oz) so the barn is stronger and more rigid than ever.
So, after a week of active work — we (of course) went to the beach for some much needed relaxation and fun. Could not have done it without your help Aranud — thank you sincerely.