We’ve had our first hive since September and as its a smaller 6 frame unit — it seems over-crowded as the bees become hyper active. The FlowHive makes extracting honey pretty simple for us and low-impact for our bees and its made locally near Brisbane. Isn’t it the cutest hive?
To make room for more honey – it was time to collect our first batch of golden delicious organic honey which the bees have been busy creating from the many plants and trees on our place. The smell was tremendous!
Sadly, during the process they swarmed again and stayed away from the hive for a full day. That means it’s time to capture and re-home them.
Lucky I found them the nearby tree and was able to knock them into a box from the branch they were clung to. The hive stayed there in the shade while I dashed to Yandina and got our second hive.
Capturing them was easy… getting them (mostly) into their new hive was okay…yet they swarmed yet again and flew to another Hoop Pine far out of reach yet still fairly close-by.
So back to the original hive honey harvest… all told, we got 18 litres (~18 quarts) of honey! We’ll sell some yet keep plenty for us ardour many guests. There is an amazing difference in taste in each frame as each worker bee stays on a frame and is fed by drones that work certain plants. Pretty amazing are bees!
Jeff came out with Catarina Friday arvo and wanted to come back and help — help he did… we got the barn insulation, roof tin, and ridge cap on (all secure). Within 30-minutes of him leaving, we had the BIGGEST storm we’ve experienced here to date — near 100 mills / 4 inches in 20 minutes and thunder to rattle the bowels of hell! NO leaks — yet the walls are a tad airy and need work.
Our dearest Sista years ago gave us two gorgeous coffee bushes and we’ve enjoyed them as potted plants for several years. Today they found their permanent home close to the garden and water tank in the shade of a nearby tree. The volcanic soil and position are perfect for coffee so we welcome YOU to come try our handiwork (in a few months) as they produce well already.
A day of rest after Arnaud’s departure was in order (only planting a few trees and hanging out with Jaffa). I started back at the barn early and between bouts of rain, managed to get half of the roof fir strips (for the tin to re-attach to) by mid afternoon. I had to get to Frank’s and pick-up the side wall tin and a few pieces of steel fence for the compost pens before 16:00. I managed, with Frank’s helper, Hamish’s help, to get everything loaded and back before dark.
Here I am with the barn fir strips half done (and looking serious! ;<)
And speaking of progress… the planters, especially the tomatoes, are doing well and enjoying the heat and rain.