Our forest area has really come to life with the many Bromeliads we’ve planted and the Glass House (our tiny house) is perfectly placed to enjoy the gardens.
What garden would be complete without a garden troll -er gnome… -er scare crow? This rather scary ceramic statue watched over the forest and in fact seems to keep bush turkey and came toads at alert!
We’re always pleased to have friends, family, and guests stay with us… my mate Lasso came up from Byron Bay and enjoyed several hikes, much conversation, and wonderful meals together. From Frank’s Lookout, you can see we’ve enjoyed regular rain and overcast conditions which has allowed things to green and thrive.
One of my most enjoyable outings is Mount Tinbeerwah Lookout — every visit it’s different and each time it captivating. What a magical place to share with friends!
A day of rest after Arnaud’s departure was in order (only planting a few trees and hanging out with Jaffa). I started back at the barn early and between bouts of rain, managed to get half of the roof fir strips (for the tin to re-attach to) by mid afternoon. I had to get to Frank’s and pick-up the side wall tin and a few pieces of steel fence for the compost pens before 16:00. I managed, with Frank’s helper, Hamish’s help, to get everything loaded and back before dark.
Here I am with the barn fir strips half done (and looking serious! ;<)
And speaking of progress… the planters, especially the tomatoes, are doing well and enjoying the heat and rain.
Our neighbour’s cows repeatedly invaded and damaged our new garden.
The three massive cows raided us (again) last night – up early to see the aftermath… Minimal damage yet goats are probably traumatised (as they ran past their Goatel before running through a fence nearby in the middle of the night). Went to neighbour downhill at 07:00 and roused him (James, who seems quite the mus’o has a bandstand rear building). He denied they were his cows, kept says QLD law meant both parties have to pay for any fence – yet we should’t need one since it’d been that way ”forever”. The said cows had been agisted 10 years ago, removed 3 years ago, these were left — and he couldn’t remember who owned them… Very frustrating… though James offered star posts and to “put up a few posts” — too much to do… Said we could discuss it another day — left to get cows out away from garden.
Spent from 08:00 until 15:00 replacing fence just downhill from front gate. A ravine washout area had had wire pulled back along remaining fence further down and wooden post had been broken off. 4 trees and numerous lantana were across the fence
Cut and applied filter media over agie pipe in white centre beds (only planters that were unsocked). Prepared piping and drain holes for sand on remaining planters. Added sugar cane mulch above sand layer (to reduce organic materials in water reservoir and prevent pH issues). Final layer topsoil to be added to all outstanding beds.
Terry Gill and his brother Ash came out near 16:30 and toured the place. Ash took off yet Tezza stayed for BBQ dinner. Come to find out, his family ginger farm is only about 20 minutes away near Imbil in the Mary Valley (we are on the edge of it).
Simple hoop greenhouse being built from irrigation pipe, stakes, and fence rope – filled with IBC wicking raised planter beds.
Our garden is progressing nicely. We’ve built a greenhouse to keep pests away and are in the process of planting now. So far, have red and bell peppers, celery, broccoli, tomatoes, several types of beans, peas, beet root and okra started… SO looking forward to them yielding bounty!
Occasionally arranging helpers yet, after a poor experience with the Dutch couple as they were separating while here (come to find out) and the girl was a militant vegan who ate us out of house and home. Not a good experience — but they’re gone. A Parisian engineer guy is due this Friday (wish us luck!)
The garden cover is constructed of 1 1/2 inch irrigation pipe cut, arched, then stuck on the end of galvanised 1.5 meter steel pipe which are driven half way into the ground. The baling twine helps hold it all in place and makes it quite rigid then the electric fence wire rope keeps it strong and durable.
The planters are made from 1000 litre fluid totes (or IBCs) which have been washed. The black ones are near new and carried saline water for water purification (so no worries with nasties!) I measure and marke them before using my angle grinder to cut them in half. Seems they go a treat on hot days but are harder to cut when its cool. In the bottom of each (after all opening have been siliconed shut and water tight) I lay 7.5 meters of socked slotted agie pipe (use typically for wastewater drains). These are spun in circles, a filler neck fitted, and zip tied in place. Then the all important drainage holes are drilled about 150mm (or leaving about 150 litres of water in the tank AND overflow holes near the filler (in case it floods, the planters need to shed the excess water). Then, about two wheel barrows full of sand, then a layer of sugar cane mulch (to keep the nutrients from the soil and plants for making the water cavity down below to acidic from fermentation), and finally the top layer of two or so wheel barrows full of topsoil. They are quite a lot of work — yet conserve 80% of the water of usual in ground gardening, they make tending to them easier as they are raised, reduce the amount of weeds, and keep plants in their designated spots with out effort. Each should last for many years and only occasionally need to be refreshed soil wise and weekly water top-ups with a hose.